Connect with us

News

Baraje Tackles Tukur Over Obasanjo

Published

on

The Alhaji Abubakar Kawu Baraje faction of the Peoples Democratic Party has accused a factional National Chairman of the party, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur of attempts to smear the image of former President Olusegun Obasanjo.
The Baraje faction also said it was set for reconciliation but that the ball was now in the court of the Bamanga faction to accede to the reconciliation efforts of elders of the party.
In a statement last Wednesday by its National Publicity Secretary, Chief Eze Chukwuemeka Eze, the Baraje faction said by accusing Obasanjo of being behind the decision of the faction to stage a walkout at the Special National Convention of the party in Abuja, Tukur was trying to smear the international reputation of the former president.
Eze said in the statement that the import of Tukur’s statement was also that those who walked out of the convention ground could not take independent decisions.
The faction said no matter the number of court cases instituted by Tukur and his faction, they were ready to fight the cause of restoring democracy to the PDP.
The statement reads: “Yesterday, 10th of September, 2013, four of the progressive seven State Governors (Babangida Aliyu of Niger, Rabiu Kwankwaso of Kano, Murtala Nyako of Adamawa and Abdulfatah Ahmed of Kwara) loyal to the Alhaji Abubakar Kawu Baraje-led Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) met with President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan in Abuja in connection with the crisis currently rocking our party.
This is yet the latest in a series of gestures made by PDP under Alhaji Abubakar Kawu Baraje’s leadership to amicably resolve the crisis orchestrated by the party’s factional National Chairman, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur for reasons we cannot fathom. Unfortunately, the belligerence of the Alhaji Tukur-led National Working Committee (NWC) has so far frustrated all efforts being made by the Party Leader, President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, as well as by PDP Elders such as Dr. Ahmadu Ali, Dr Barnabas Gemade and former Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and Ibrahim Babangida to amicably resolve the crisis. We plead with them not to be deterred by those who are feeding fat on the crisis as we are ready to assist them in any way possible to enable them restore peace to our great party.
The latest of the belligerent actions by the Tukur faction is the ill-advised move to take over the party’s structures in the States of the Governors loyal to Baraje’s leadership. We wish to advise Tukur and his NWC against this or any other action capable of worsening the crisis. We say: Enough is Enough!
Meanwhile, we wish to commend the Party Leader, President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, and PDP elders for their various efforts at resolving this crisis which, if allowed to continue, can only lead to the further weakening of our great party. We appeal to them never to tire until they achieve their set objectives. We also appeal to Alhaji Tukur and his NWC to respect these distinguished party elders and give peace a chance. The ball is in his court.
Mr. President should not be deceived by some party leaders who are making him believe that he can do without us. Most of these leaders currently cannot under a properly organised free and fair elections win their wards. It is obvious that no presidential election in Nigeria can be won without states like Rivers, Kano, Sokoto, Adamawa, Kwara and Niger States, Kebbi, and these are states we are controlling. Check the past general elections and see that some of these media-created PDP leaders have no followers in their states at the moment talk less of making any impact come 2015″.
Attack On General Olusegun Obasanjo and Chief Tony Anenih Cannot Solve the Self-Inflicted Crisis by The Tukur’s Faction on PDP.
We have noticed the erroneous insinuation and propaganda by Tukur’s faction that the distinguished statesman, General Oulsegun Obasanjo, had a hand in our staging a walkout during the ill-conceived mini-convention of PDP and that he is the brain behind most of our activities.
We are also aware of the attempts being made to rubbish and ridicule the BOT Chairman, Chief Tony Anenih, for stating that we have genuine reasons for what we are doing. We want to assure Chief Anenih, knowing all his sacrifices and efforts in making PDP whatever it is by today, that we will not sit and watch some jokers in Tukur’s faction rubbish him or make him look ordinary in the affairs of the party. The truth will always see us through.
Actually, what are we asking for? We are asking that internal democracy be allowed to thrive within the party and that Tukur and his undemocratic gang should not see the party as their personal property in which they can wake up any day and fire whoever they dreamt about in their sleep. We will no longer condone such undemocratic reasoning and acts. Enough is enough! No matter how many times he wants to take us to court to ask that we be committed to prison, we are not deterred or afraid of going to prison. We are bent on achieving our aim of restoring democratic normalcy within the PDP as envisaged by the founding fathers of the party. This is a battle to which we have committed ourselves and there is no going back until undemocratic elements within our party are flushed out as their acts have done much harm and brought much shame to our great party”.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Appoints Four Nominees Into NCDMB Governing Council 

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has approved the nomination of four new members to the Governing Council of the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB).

The Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement yesterday, said the appointment is to fill existing vacancies and strengthen the board’s capacity.

The statement said the approved nominees are Mr. Olusegun Omosehin of the National Insurance Commission and Engr. Wole Ogunsanya of the Petroleum Technology Association of Nigeria.

Tinubu also endorsed the nomination of Sam Onyechi, who represents the Nigerian Content Consultative Forum and Barrister Owei Oyanbo from the Ministry of Petroleum Resources.

The President encouraged the new members to leverage their expertise and dedication to enhance local content development within Nigeria’s oil and gas industry.

It added, “The nominations arose from the exit of previous institutional representatives from the Governing Council.

“The NCDMB Governing Council, established under Section 69 of the Nigerian Oil and Gas Industry Content Development Act, 2010, comprises representatives from key institutions.

“These include the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, the Petroleum Technology Association of Nigeria, the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria, the Nigerian Content Consultative Forum, and the National Insurance Commission.”

Continue Reading

News

NDDC To Construct Hostels, Roads In UNIPORT – Ogbuku

Published

on

The Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) has announced plans to construct additional hostels, rehabilitate roads, and enhance power supply in the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT).

NDDC’s Managing Director, Dr Samuel Ogbuku, disclosed this during a visit to the commission’s headquarters in Port Harcourt, yesterday by a delegation from the UNIPORT’s Governing Council.

Ogbuku stated that the NDDC had committed to upgrading facilities at UNIPORT as part of efforts to foster partnership with educational institutions across the Niger Delta.

According to him, the implementation of additional projects at the university forms part of a broader strategy to improve education standards in the region.

“Aside from the construction of new hostel blocks and installation of a 300 KVA solar inverter system, the NDDC will also facilitate more projects in the university.

“The commission will also deploy its engineers to assess the condition of UNIPORT’s roads and hostels for potential rehabilitation,” he said.

Ogbuku noted that upon completion, the projects would add to various initiatives previously undertaken by the commission at the university.

“These and other projects reflect our commitment to actualising President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda in the Niger Delta region,” he added.

He reaffirmed the NDDC’s dedication to fostering development and strengthening partnerships across the region.

Earlier, Sen. Mao Ohuanbunwa, Chairman of UNIPORT’s Governing Council, who led the delegation commended the current leadership of the NDDC for its achievements in accelerating development in the Niger Delta.

He highlighted the university’s infrastructural challenges, noting that it lacked adequate facilities to accommodate its growing student population, and appealed for the NDDC’s support in addressing the shortfall.

“Currently, UNIPORT has a total student population of about 50,000, while its hostel accommodation capacity can only cater for 5,000 students.

“We therefore urge the NDDC to assist in the construction of additional hostels, improve transportation facilities, and facilitate the acquisition of gas turbines to enhance power supply for our students,” Ohuanbunwa pleaded.

The Vice Chancellor of UNIPORT, Prof. Owunari Georgewill, commended NDDC for its impactful projects across the Niger Delta and extended an invitation to the commission to participate in the institution’s forthcoming 50th anniversary celebrations.

Continue Reading

News

Senate Rejects Motion To Rename INEC Headquarters After Humphrey Nwosu 

Published

on

 

The Senate has rejected a motion to rename the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) headquarters after the former chairman of the defunct National Electoral Commission, late Prof Humphrey Nwosu.

Nwosu presided over the June 12, 1993, presidential election, which was truncated by the former military President, General Ibrahim Babangida (rtd).

The election which was won by the late business mogul, Chief MKO Abiola, was adjudged to be the freest and fairest in the electoral history of Nigeria.

The motion to rename INEC after Nwosu was re-sponsored by Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe yesterday after lawmakers threw it out last Wednesday.

Abaribe called for posthumous national honours to be conferred on Nwosu in recognition of his role in Nigeria’s democratic evolution.

However, the proposal sparked a heated debate once again, with lawmakers deeply divided over Nwosu’s legacy.

Senator Osita Ngwu acknowledged that Nwosu operated under a military regime, which restricted his ability to announce the results.

He argued that “there was no way he would have announced the results with a gun to his head. That doesn’t change the fact that some of us see him as a hero.”

Senator Austin Akobundu, however, described it as most uncharitable for lawmakers to dismiss Nwosu’s contributions, insisting that he deserved a place in Nigeria’s hall of honour.

On the other hand, several senators like Senator Jimoh Ibrahim dismissed the idea outright, questioning why the Senate should honour someone who failed to announce the results insisting that “nothing should be named after him”.

Senator Cyril Fasuyi argued that history does not reward efforts, but only results.

“As long as he did not announce the result, whether under duress or not, I am against naming INEC headquarters after him,” he submitted.

Also, Senator Sunday Karimi criticised Nwosu for lacking the courage to speak out, while Senator Afolabi Salisu warned that immortalising him would undermine the memory of MKO Abiola, the widely accepted winner of the June 12, 1993, annulled election.

“Any attempt to do anything beyond a one-minute silence is to rubbish Abiola’s legacy,” he tendered.

After intense deliberation, most senators rejected the motion through a voice vote.

They, however, agreed to honour him with a one-minute silence and extend condolences to his family, effectively dismissing the other prayers to immortalise Nwosu.

Continue Reading

Trending