Opinion
Abduction: The Incoherent Story
“Cameras never lie, documents are worthy, dependable referral materials anytime and authorities carry the pot of truth. –Old Myth.
These myths were some
what proven to be true as I journeyed through the tunnel of my carrier in information dissemination. Of course I had always employed the camera to press home my news materials, and once documented, the authenticity of my information is hardly ever in doubt and because I resort to the opinions and views of the authorities, it further boosts the credibility of my story.
Somehow, something tells me that my age-long beliefs, can no longer be relied upon. In short, they are mere fallacy. In my inability to be convinced otherwise, unfolding events tend to signal some form of truth that what I had held on to, for ages as a working tool, could sometimes be faulted. Afterall, is it not mortals and materials made and manipulated by mortals that are involved?
On a second thought, how could any sane mind dispute the fact that authorities “carry the pot of truth,” if so, whose report then is worth believing? What could be more authentic than the words of an authority which duty it is to protect the interest of its subjects and eschew all manner of bias?
The unfolding divergent stories of the abducted girls in Borno State has become so worrisome that one does not know which is the truth.
Could this be why Gbenga Omotoso of The Nation Newspaper said that “Nigeria is a commentator’s night mare?”
Perhaps one needs to be at the centre of events or probably follow up happenings in the country to be able to pass judgment on Gbenga’s idea of Nigeria as the commentator’s nightmare, an assessment pregnant with meanings.
Granted that sometimes the devil could visit a printing house so we could talk about the “printer’s devil” or evil, and obvious still, that there are times when the lip could slip to let out what was not originally intended to be said. All these are usually immediately corrected as soon as acknowledged, to prove that they were not the original intention of the communicator and, of course, they happen once in a while.
If the unpopular nature of these errors makes it easily pardonably by the public, what happens when they assume a popular dimension and possible without any effort for correction? I think it is a lesser evil not to inform at all than to misinform a people.
The reports about the abduction of some school girls in Chibok in Borno State is taking a questionable dimension, that is capable of demeaning the image of Nigeria and the authorities that run the affairs of the country in the assessment of the onlookers home and abroad.
Last week, my worry had been on how to harmonise the BBC report on the abduction of secondary school girls in Chibok, Borno State, with that of the local news.
While BBC quoted parents to have told its Hausa service that “at least 200 girls were abducted” by suspected Boko Haram insurgents on Tuesday, April 15, 2014, the local news had it that “no fewer than 100 girls were abducted.”
The commond denominator in the two accounts are chibok the crime scene and date (Tuesday April 15, 2014).
Otherwise it has not been easy to ascertain the actual figure involved in this incidence.
Meanwhile, while we were battling with that, the Defence Headquarters came up with yet another information, fully videoed by the media and eventually documented on papers that out of the 129 girls abducted only 8 were yet to secure their release, meaning about 121 girls have gained their freedom irrespective of how it came about.
Of course, such is a welcome news that should be published even in the streets of ‘Ashekelon’, especially coming from the authority in charge of the security of the people.
That again brings to three, the discrepancies in the reports of figures of girls abducted. The first; “at least 200, the second; “no fewer than 100” and the third; 129, perhaps, the later was based on the number of girls in the hostel.
While this incoherence could still be tolerated, the Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima, alarmed the public Sunday when he, while expressing his agony over the incidence, revealed that “Between Saturday night and Sunday evening, seven more girls escaped from captivity, bringing to 52, the number of those with us out of the 129 students that were at the hostel on the day of that attack.”
The governor said “the search for 77 others was still on,” a report that is not in congruent with that from the Defence Headquarters.
Although there are contentions that some may have escaped and and reunited with their parents, for which Governor Shettima had called on parents and guardians to return to the school any student that might have run home on the day of the attack so that accurate record could be taken to ascertain the missing figure.
The puzzle got more complex Monday, April 21, 2014, with parents insisting that 234 were actually missing, a situation that further shocked the governor, as he shunned security advice to visit the troubled town, where parents told him that officials would not listen to them when they drew up their list of names of missing children which amounted to 234.
Mallam Shettima Haruna, one of the parents of the missing girls, who spoke on behalf of other parents, had told Governor Shettima, Monday, in Chibok, during his assessment visit to the area that only 39 of the abducted girls had so far regained their freedom. “I want to say clearly on behalf of the parents that about 230 girls are still missing, this is because only 39 girls have so far escaped to safety out of the estimated 270 abducted female students,” he said.
From the varying figures of the abducted to the varying figures of the recovered, which is the authentic figure? How many are still missing? I think the greatest unfairness to humanity is the politicization of a national calamity of this nature.
Sylvia ThankGod-Amadi
Opinion
Time and Season Can Tell
Opinion
Why Adaeze Deserves A Second Chance
Opinion
Empowering Youth Through Agriculture
Quote:”While job seeking youths should continuously acquire skills and explore opportunities within their immediate environment as well as in the global space through the use of digital platforms, government, corporate/ multinational organizations or the organised private sector should generate skills and provide the enabling environment for skills acquisition, through adequate funding and resettlement packages that will provide sustainable economic life for beneficiaries”.
The Governor of Rivers State, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, recently urged youths in the Rivers State to take advantage of the vast opportunities available to become employers of labour and contribute meaningfully to the growth and development of the State. Governor Fubara noted that global trends increasingly favour entrepreneurship and innovation, and said that youths in Rivers State must not be left behind in harnessing these opportunities. The Governor, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr Benibo Anabraba, made this known while declaring open the 2026 Job Fair organised by the Rivers State Government in partnership with the Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA) in Port Harcourt. The Governor acknowledged the responsibility of government to create jobs for its teeming youth population but noted that it is unrealistic to absorb all job seekers into the civil service.
“As a government, we recognise our duty to provide employment opportunities for our teeming youths. However, we also understand that not all youths can be accommodated within the civil service. This underscores the need to encourage entrepreneurship across diverse sectors and to partner with other stakeholders, including the youths themselves, so they can transition from being job seekers to employers of labour,” he said. It is necessary to State that Governor Fubara has not only stated the obvious but was committed to drive youth entrepreneurship towards their self-reliance and the economic development of the State It is not news that developed economies of the world are skilled driven economies. The private sector also remains the highest employer of labour in private sector driven or capitalist economy though it is also the responsibility of government to create job opportunities for the teeming unemployed youth population in Nigeria which has the highest youth unemployed population in the subSahara Africa.
The lack of job opportunities, caused partly by the Federal Government’s apathy to job creation, the lack of adequate supervision of job opportunities economic programmes, lack of employable skills by many youths in the country have conspired to heighten the attendant challenges of unemployment. The challenges which include, “Japa” syndrome (travelling abroad for greener pastures), that characterises the labour market and poses threat to the nation’s critical sector, especially the health and medical sector; astronomical increase in the crime rate and a loss of interest in education. While job seeking youths should continuously acquire skills and explore opportunities within their immediate environment as well as in the global space through the use of digital platforms, government, corporate/ multinational organizations or the organised private sector should generate skills and provide the enabling environment for skills acquisition, through adequate funding and resettlement packages that will provide sustainable economic life for beneficiaries.
While commending the Rivers State Government led by the People First Governor, Sir Siminilayi Fubara for initiating “various training and capacity-building programmes in areas such as ICT and artificial intelligence, oil and gas, maritime, and the blue economy, among others”, it is note-worthy that the labour market is dynamic and shaped by industry-specific demands, technological advancements, management practices and other emerging factors. So another sector the Federal, State and Local Governments should encourage youths to explore and harness the abounding potentials, in my considered view, is Agriculture. Agriculture remains a veritable solution to hunger, inflation, and food Insecurity that ravages the country. No doubt, the Nigeria’s arable landmass is grossly under-utilised and under-exploited.
In recent times, Nigerians have voiced their concerns about the persistent challenges of hunger, inflation, and the general increase in prices of goods and commodities. These issues not only affect the livelihoods of individuals and families but also pose significant threats to food security and economic stability in the country. The United Nations estimated that more than 25 million people in Nigeria could face food insecurity this year—a 47% increase from the 17 million people already at risk of going hungry, mainly due to ongoing insecurity, protracted conflicts, and rising food prices. An estimated two million children under five are likely to be pushed into acute malnutrition. (Reliefweb ,2023). In response, Nigeria declared a state of emergency on food insecurity, recognizing the urgent need to tackle food shortages, stabilize rising prices, and protect farmers facing violence from armed groups. However, without addressing the insecurity challenges, farmers will continue to struggle to feed their families and boost food production.
In addition, parts of northwest and northeast Nigeria have experienced changes in rainfall patterns making less water available for crop production. These climate change events have resulted in droughts and land degradations; presenting challenges for local communities and leading to significant impact on food security. In light of these daunting challenges, it is imperative to address the intricate interplay between insecurity and agricultural productivity. Nigeria can work toward ensuring food security, reducing poverty, and fostering sustainable economic growth in its vital agricultural sector. In this article, I suggest solutions that could enhance agricultural production and ensure that every state scales its agricultural production to a level where it can cater to 60% of the population.
This is feasible and achievable if government at all levels are intentional driving the development of the agricultural sector which was the major economic mainstay of the Country before the crude oil was struck in commercial quantity and consequently became the nation’s monolithic revenue source. Government should revive the moribund Graduate Farmers Scheme and the Rivers State School-to-Land agricultural programmes to operate concurrently with other skills acquisition and development programmes. There should be a consideration for investment in mechanized farming and arable land allocation. State and local governments should play a pivotal role in promoting mechanized farming and providing arable land for farming in communities. Additionally, allocating arable land enables small holder farmers to expand their operations and contribute to food security at the grassroots level.
Nigeria can unlock the potential of its agricultural sector to address the pressing needs of its population and achieve sustainable development. Policymakers and stakeholders must heed Akande’s recommendations and take decisive action to ensure a food-secure future for all Nigerians.
By: Igbiki Benibo
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News4 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports4 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
