News
Labour’s Protests Ground DISCOs’ Operations
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) in collaboration with civil society groups made good their threat of picketing offices of the electricity distribution and generating company (DISCOs) and GENCOs) across the nation, as operations in their offices were grounded following the exercise.
Also affected, were the offices of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) as labour unions protested the 45 per cent hike in electricity tariff, announced by the Federal Government.
The new tariff regime began on Monday, 1st February, 2016
Consequently, offices of the Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company (PHED) across the four states of Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Cross River were also besieged by protesters.
At the Mosco Road, the zonal office of PHED, the Rivers State Chairman of TUC, Mr Chika Onuegbu, decried the new tariff, saying the people would no longer watch the government inflict pains on them through the exploitative tariff.
He lamented that the Federal Government has failed to save the masses from the crunchy economic situation, and wondered why the masses would be made to pay through their nose for poor supply that is epileptic.
Onuegbu accused the DISCOs of also failing in their contractual bond of providing prepaid meters which were promised the consumers when the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) was being privatised.
On her part, the l Chairman of NLC in the state, Mrs Beatrice Itubo, said the protest over electricity tariff hike would continue until the Federal Government rescinds its step and removes the new tariff.
At the D/Line office of the Diobu Business Centre of PHED, Chief Amadi Ihedioha, a businessman said , ‘the protest has provided the ordinary Nigerians opportunity of openly expressing their rejection of the exploitative tendencies of the company.
“I thank the organised labour for what they have done today, I thought nobody can be there for us when PHED treat us any how it likes, chooses when to supply light, and not even the government caring to know what we are passing through’, he said.
In his reaction, the Corporate Affair Manager of PHED, Mr Jonah Ibomah, In defence of the new tariff, said the power sector had been neglected over the past five years, and stressed the need for more investment in the sector.
He said, contrary to the claim that the recent increase in electricity tariff was up to 45 per cent, the hike was merely between 12 and 21 per cent.
In Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital, the organised labour also besieged the PHED offices, chanting solidarity songs with green leaves in their hands.
State chairman of the TUC, Mr Akamabo Awah, said there was no reason or rationale for the hike when there is a pending court order restraining NERC or any of the DISCOS from increasing tariff.
He said the protest was a way of defending the law and the interest of the masses from the electricity companies who have taken up Nigerians hostage.
Meanwhile, NERC Acting Chief Executive Officer, Dr Anthony Akah, blamed the organised labour for the protest, saying, NLC should have utilised the window of complaints provided by the commission or such matters instead of resorting to street protests.
Akah regretted that the sector, which is expected to attract foreign investment, may suffer sect back from the signal of the protest.
“We feel strongly that NLC or other organisations would have taken advantage of the window and file for the area of concern just like some other organisations have filed for their own areas of concern”, he said.
The Majority Leader of the House of Representatives, Hon Femi Gbajabiamila, in reacting to the development, said the House was reviewing the positions of stakeholders on the new tariff, and would make its position known to Nigerians next week.
Chris Oluoh
News
Tinubu Appoints Four Nominees Into NCDMB Governing Council

President Bola Tinubu has approved the nomination of four new members to the Governing Council of the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB).
The Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement yesterday, said the appointment is to fill existing vacancies and strengthen the board’s capacity.
The statement said the approved nominees are Mr. Olusegun Omosehin of the National Insurance Commission and Engr. Wole Ogunsanya of the Petroleum Technology Association of Nigeria.
Tinubu also endorsed the nomination of Sam Onyechi, who represents the Nigerian Content Consultative Forum and Barrister Owei Oyanbo from the Ministry of Petroleum Resources.
The President encouraged the new members to leverage their expertise and dedication to enhance local content development within Nigeria’s oil and gas industry.
It added, “The nominations arose from the exit of previous institutional representatives from the Governing Council.
“The NCDMB Governing Council, established under Section 69 of the Nigerian Oil and Gas Industry Content Development Act, 2010, comprises representatives from key institutions.
“These include the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, the Petroleum Technology Association of Nigeria, the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria, the Nigerian Content Consultative Forum, and the National Insurance Commission.”
News
NDDC To Construct Hostels, Roads In UNIPORT – Ogbuku

The Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) has announced plans to construct additional hostels, rehabilitate roads, and enhance power supply in the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT).
NDDC’s Managing Director, Dr Samuel Ogbuku, disclosed this during a visit to the commission’s headquarters in Port Harcourt, yesterday by a delegation from the UNIPORT’s Governing Council.
Ogbuku stated that the NDDC had committed to upgrading facilities at UNIPORT as part of efforts to foster partnership with educational institutions across the Niger Delta.
According to him, the implementation of additional projects at the university forms part of a broader strategy to improve education standards in the region.
“Aside from the construction of new hostel blocks and installation of a 300 KVA solar inverter system, the NDDC will also facilitate more projects in the university.
“The commission will also deploy its engineers to assess the condition of UNIPORT’s roads and hostels for potential rehabilitation,” he said.
Ogbuku noted that upon completion, the projects would add to various initiatives previously undertaken by the commission at the university.
“These and other projects reflect our commitment to actualising President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda in the Niger Delta region,” he added.
He reaffirmed the NDDC’s dedication to fostering development and strengthening partnerships across the region.
Earlier, Sen. Mao Ohuanbunwa, Chairman of UNIPORT’s Governing Council, who led the delegation commended the current leadership of the NDDC for its achievements in accelerating development in the Niger Delta.
He highlighted the university’s infrastructural challenges, noting that it lacked adequate facilities to accommodate its growing student population, and appealed for the NDDC’s support in addressing the shortfall.
“Currently, UNIPORT has a total student population of about 50,000, while its hostel accommodation capacity can only cater for 5,000 students.
“We therefore urge the NDDC to assist in the construction of additional hostels, improve transportation facilities, and facilitate the acquisition of gas turbines to enhance power supply for our students,” Ohuanbunwa pleaded.
The Vice Chancellor of UNIPORT, Prof. Owunari Georgewill, commended NDDC for its impactful projects across the Niger Delta and extended an invitation to the commission to participate in the institution’s forthcoming 50th anniversary celebrations.
News
Senate Rejects Motion To Rename INEC Headquarters After Humphrey Nwosu

The Senate has rejected a motion to rename the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) headquarters after the former chairman of the defunct National Electoral Commission, late Prof Humphrey Nwosu.
Nwosu presided over the June 12, 1993, presidential election, which was truncated by the former military President, General Ibrahim Babangida (rtd).
The election which was won by the late business mogul, Chief MKO Abiola, was adjudged to be the freest and fairest in the electoral history of Nigeria.
The motion to rename INEC after Nwosu was re-sponsored by Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe yesterday after lawmakers threw it out last Wednesday.
Abaribe called for posthumous national honours to be conferred on Nwosu in recognition of his role in Nigeria’s democratic evolution.
However, the proposal sparked a heated debate once again, with lawmakers deeply divided over Nwosu’s legacy.
Senator Osita Ngwu acknowledged that Nwosu operated under a military regime, which restricted his ability to announce the results.
He argued that “there was no way he would have announced the results with a gun to his head. That doesn’t change the fact that some of us see him as a hero.”
Senator Austin Akobundu, however, described it as most uncharitable for lawmakers to dismiss Nwosu’s contributions, insisting that he deserved a place in Nigeria’s hall of honour.
On the other hand, several senators like Senator Jimoh Ibrahim dismissed the idea outright, questioning why the Senate should honour someone who failed to announce the results insisting that “nothing should be named after him”.
Senator Cyril Fasuyi argued that history does not reward efforts, but only results.
“As long as he did not announce the result, whether under duress or not, I am against naming INEC headquarters after him,” he submitted.
Also, Senator Sunday Karimi criticised Nwosu for lacking the courage to speak out, while Senator Afolabi Salisu warned that immortalising him would undermine the memory of MKO Abiola, the widely accepted winner of the June 12, 1993, annulled election.
“Any attempt to do anything beyond a one-minute silence is to rubbish Abiola’s legacy,” he tendered.
After intense deliberation, most senators rejected the motion through a voice vote.
They, however, agreed to honour him with a one-minute silence and extend condolences to his family, effectively dismissing the other prayers to immortalise Nwosu.