Connect with us

Featured

COVID-19: NCDC Set To Increase Test Capacity To 1,500 Daily …As Confirmed Cases Of Coronavirus In Nigeria Rise To 139

Published

on

The Director-General of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu, said, yesterday, that the centre would increase its capacity to test for the Coronavirus to 1,500 per day in the country.
Ihekweazu stated this at the Presidential Taskforce Briefing on COVID-19 in Abuja, yesterday.
He said the focus of NCDC efforts was to improve the number of people that could be tested for the disease.
He said: “Last week, we had the capacity to test 500 per day, by the end of this week we will be at 1000 a day.
“By next week, we are hoping to get to 1,500 a day.”
Ihekweazu, however, said that Nigerians need to reduce the demand side of the testing to those who really needed it.
He noted that the more the people force themselves into being tested, the less NCDC would have the capacity to test those who really need the screening.
In a related development, the Minister for Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Sadiya Umar Farouq, said that the ministry was unrelenting in its school children feeding.
She said the ministry would liaise with the state governments to work out the modalities to know how to go about the programme, despite the stay-at-home directive.
Farouq also disclosed that the ministry has about 2.6 million poor and vulnerable households on its social register.
However, the Federal Government has said it will be reaching more than 11 million Nigerians with palliatives to cushion the harsh effects of the measures set to fight back outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Also, the government has said it will continue to increase capacity to test for cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) on weekly basis.
The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouk, while reacting to questions, yesterday, at the daily media briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja, also disclosed that internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the North-East part of the country already received two months rations of relief materials.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian government has announced four new cases of COVID-19 in the country.
This brings the total number of cases so far confirmed on Tuesday to eight. Four cases were earlier confirmed Tuesday morning.
The total number of confirmed cases in the country is now 139 at the time of this report.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said of the four new cases reported in Nigeria, three are in the FCT and one in Lagos.
The public health agency said “as at 08:00 pm 31st March there are 139 confirmed cases of COVID19 reported in Nigeria. Nine have been discharged with two deaths.”
Of the eight new cases reported on Tuesday, so far, three are in Osun, three are in the FCT, one in Lagos and one in Ogun State.
It said all new cases have mild to moderate symptoms and are currently receiving care.
A breakdown of cases by states show that Lagos is the epicentre for the COVID-19 in Nigeria. Cases have also been on the rise in FCT, Osun and Oyo states.
Although there has been an increase in the number of cases across the country, more are expected in days to come.
The government has intensified contact tracing to identify those who have been in contact with persons who tested positive to COVID-19. They have also improved the testing capacity by adding more laboratories to the ones available.
This implies that more diagnosis would be carried out daily.
The Director-General of NCDC, Chikwe Ihekweazu, said in Abuja Tuesday that efforts are on to test more people for the virus.
“Last week we had the capacity to test 500 per day, by the end of this week we will be at 1000 a day.
“By next week we are hoping to get to 1500 a day,” he said.
Also, a multi-sectoral national emergency operations centre (EOC), activated at level 3, continues to coordinate the national response activities.

Featured

Bring Your Wealth Of Experience To Governance, Ibas Tasks New SSG

Published

on

The Sole Administrator of Rivers State, Vice Admiral Ibok Ete Ekwe Ibas (rtd), has charged the new Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Prof Ibibia Lucky Worika to bring his wealth of experience to bear in governance of the State.

 

Vice Admiral Ibas (rtd) gave the charge shortly after swearing in the new SSG at the executive chambers of Government House on Wednesday night.

 

The Administrator who congratulated Prof Worika on his appointment said the choice was not merely an administrative decision but a statement of intent.

 

Vice Admiral Ibas (rtd) explained that the new SSG has an unparallel expertise in law, policy and international governance, which align perfectly with the mission to restore law, order, integrity and public trust in Rivers State.

 

He said: “To our new SSG, the task ahead is onerous, but your track record leaves no doubt in our minds that you will prove your mettle. Rivers State needs your intellect, grit and unweaving dedication. Together, we will write a new chapter of progress for this great state.

 

“Prof Worika’s role will be critical in driving this vision, ensuring that every policy, every decision and every action is in consonance with this administration’s mandate to restore law and order, stabilize the polity and to create the necessary conditions for the restoration of democratic institutions and representations.”

 

Vice Admiral Ibas (rtd) pointed to his maiden address to Rivers people wherein he emphasised that his administration will be committed to delivering an effective governance that is anchored on transparency, accountability and service.

 

He therefore, enjoined the new SSG to brace up to the demands of his office, and offer his best service as required while also working cooperatively with civil servants.

 

Vice Admiral Ibas (rtd) said: “You have no time to settle down. You must roll up your sleeves and get to work with the team.

 

“Our civil servants with whom we will work closely to run this administration are critical stakeholders and we must work with them to ensure that the state continues to function effectively during this administration.

 

“To the Permanent Secretaries and civil servants as a whole, once more I will ask your kind cooperation and support as we work to achieve our objectives at this time,” he added.

Continue Reading

Featured

I Am One Of You, Sole Administrator Tells Rivers People …Warns Against Violence, Crude Oil Sabotage

Published

on

The Sole Administrator of Rivers State, Retired Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (rtd), has assured residents that he is not in the State as a partisan actor or political competitor but as a stabilising force to restore governance and order.
In a state broadcast yesterday, Ibas, who assumed duty at Government House, Port Harcourt, emphasised his commitment to protecting civil liberties and ensuring the safety of all citizens.
However, he issued a stern warning against crude oil sabotage and violence, urging residents to resist any temptation to return to past hostilities.
“For decades, I have dedicated my life to the service of our great nation—first as the 20th indigenous Chief of Naval Staff and later as Nigeria’s High Commissioner to Ghana. I answered this call out of the need for peace in Nigeria, and most importantly, in Rivers State,” Ibas stated.
Describing the prolonged political impasse as a major setback to governance and democracy, he acknowledged the hardships faced by families and businesses due to the prevailing uncertainty.
“As a son of the Niger Delta, I am one of you. I feel the weight of this crisis on families, businesses, and the future of our people,” he said.
Ibas commended President Bola Tinubu’s decisive action in declaring a state of emergency in Rivers State, stressing that it was a necessary move to restore stability and revive economic activities.
“My mandate is clear: restore law and order, ensure stability, and create an enabling environment for economic growth. But this mission requires collective support from all stakeholders, regardless of political affiliation or ethnicity,” he stated.
He discouraged attacks on oil infrastructure, reminding residents of the devastating environmental and economic consequences of such actions.
“The Niger Delta has moved beyond the destruction of oil facilities. We must resist the temptation to return to those ugly days,” he cautioned.
While pledging to uphold civil liberties and the rule of law, the Sole Administrator warned that lawlessness and violence would not be tolerated.
“We will not act arbitrarily, but we will not hesitate to deal decisively with anyone who threatens the peace and stability of Rivers State,” he declared.
Ibas revealed that he had concluded a State Security Council meeting where strategic measures were outlined to de-escalate tensions and prevent further conflict.
Expressing gratitude to President Tinubu for entrusting him with the responsibility, he also acknowledged the National Assembly for approving the emergency declaration.
“I will work closely with the national leadership under the guidance of the President. I am optimistic that Rivers State will emerge stronger and greater,” he concluded.

Continue Reading

Featured

Abuja Truck Explosion Death Toll Rises To 10  …As Another Truck Crashes On Same Spot 

Published

on

The Federal Capital Territory Emergency Management Department has confirmed that 10 persons have died in the truck explosion that occurred near Karu bridge, along the Abuja-Keffi Expressway, on Wednesday.

The FEMD’s Head of Public Affairs, Nkechi Isa, confirmed the numbers in a statement, yesterday.

The Acting Director General of the Emergency Department, Abdulrahman Mohammed, had earlier confirmed that eight persons had died as of yesterday morning, with five confirmed dead on the scene, and four others burnt beyond recognition.

““Five people were taken dead from the scene yesterday (Wednesday). Out of the people that were injured, one died, making six. Then this morning (yesterday), when I asked my people to go round, they discovered that two had already died again, making eight. Four of them from yesterday were burnt beyond recognition.”, he explained.

However, in her statement, Isa said the Head, Forecasting Response and Mitigation of FEMD, Mr Mark Nyam, said eight bodies were deposited at the Karu Hospital Morgue, one body at the Asokoro Distinct Hospital Morgue while another body was deposited at the National Hospital.

He added that some victims had been referred to the Gwagwalada Teaching Hospital, Federal Medical Centre, Keffi, and Cedercrest Hospital Abuja for proper care.

Part of the statement reads, “The FCT Emergency Management Department FEMD can confirm that 10 persons lost their lives to the truck explosion that occurred at Karu bridge along Abuja / Keffi expressway.

“The Head Forecasting Response and Mitigation of FEMD, Mr Mark Nyam said eight bodies were deposited at the Karu Hospital Morgue, one body at the Asokoro Distinct Hospital Morgue while another body was deposited at the National Hospital.”

He informed that over 30 persons suffered various degrees of burns.

“Some of the victims have been referred to Gwagwalada Teaching Hospital, Federal Medical Centre,Keffi and Cedercrest Hospital Abuja for proper care,” he said.

Isa also stated that no fewer than 10 vehicles were burnt during the incident, adding that the FEMD boss after a visit to the incident scene, appealed to motorists to observe traffic rules and regulations.

He also cautioned against reckless driving, dangerous overtaking and poor maintenance of vehicles, while urging FCT residents to always use the 112 emergency toll free number in the event of an emergency.

Meanwhile, barely 24 hours after the incident, another fertiliser-laden truck has collapsed on the same spot.

The Tide learnt that the incidence occurred at about 3:54pm yesterday.

The Head of Public Affairs of the FCT Emergency Management Department, Nkechi Isa, confirmed the accident in a statement, stating that the truck collided with a Hijet and a dump truck, adding that no life was lost.

She cautioned road users to drive with caution as the Federal Road Safety Corps was making efforts to tow away the affected vehicles, to avoid traffic built up.

“Another accident has occurred under Karu bridge along the Abuja-Keffi Expressway. Thankfully, no life was lost to the incident. Our Search and Rescue say the accident occurred when a truck laden with fertilizer ran into a Hijet and a dump truck also known as tipper.

“Motorists are advised to drive with caution as the Federal Road Safety Corps is taking steps to tow away the affected vehicles in order to avoid traffic built up,” the statement read.

Meanwhile, several videos showed some persons trying to clear the fertiliser bags from the fallen truck to ease traffic.

 

Continue Reading

Trending