Featured
Lassa Fever Kills 188 In Three Months

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), yesterday, revealed that between January, 2020 and now 963 cases of Lassa fever have been confirmed in the country.
The NCDC added that within the period, the deadly Lassa fever has struck dead 188 Nigerians.
“Since the onset of the Lassa fever outbreak this year, 963 confirmed cases and 188 deaths have been recorded.
“A National Emergency Operation Centre (EOC) was activated to coordinate all response activities.
“We’ve not dropping the ball regardless of #COVID19Nigeria,” it said.
“Health care workers are advised to have a high index of suspicion and adhere to standard precaution always,” the body said.
It would be recalled that Lassa fever was first discovered about 50 years ago in Nigeria and is endemic in the country.
In Bauchi, no fewer than 19 persons have died this year following the resurgence of Lassa fever in the State.
The state Deputy Governor, Senator Baba Tela, disclosed this at a press conference held, yesterday, at the Banquet Hall, Government House, Bauchi.
He said no fewer than 48 persons were under watch and undergoing treatment for the deadly disease in the state.
He said, “It is not as if we have gotten rid of Lassa fever completely in the state; No, we have not.
“And so far as at week 14 of our campaign, the total number of death to Lassa fever is 19 and we don’t have any new case so far.
“And we are following up contacts of about 48 persons and those 48 have been confirmed and are under medication and they are recovering fast.”
The deputy governor, who is also the chairman, Bauchi State Task Force Committee on Covid-19 and Lassa fever, stated that the biggest challenge the state has is that there is a low level of awareness among the citizens.
He urged the people of the state to always report any suspected case of Lassa fever in the state, adding that early discovery and treatment could help patients recover.
Meanwhile, Nigeria has recorded another 34 new cases of Coronavirus, with the total figures jumping to 407.
According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), 18 of the 34 cases were recorded in Lagos.
Twelve cases were also recorded in Kano, two in Katsina, one in Delta and one in Niger.
“Thirty-four new cases of #COVID19 have been reported as follows: 18 in Lagos, 12 in Kano, 2 in Katsina, 1 in Delta and 1 in Niger.
“As at 11:20pm April 15, there are 407 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria. 128 have been discharged with 12 deaths,” NCDC said on its twitter handle.
By Wednesday, the NCDC said that 34 new cases of #COVID19 have were recorded across the country.
According to NCDC, Lagos had 18 cases, Kano 12, Katsina 2, Delta and Niger 1 each.
As at 11:20 pm 15th April there are 407 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria. 128 have been discharged with 12 deaths#TakeResponsibility
As at 11:20 pm 15th April, number of states with confirmed cases of #COVID19: 19 + FCT
Till date, Lagos has recorded 232 cases; FCT – 58; Osun – 20; Kano – 16; Edo – 15; Oyo – 11; Ogun – 9; Katsina – 7; Bauchi – 6; Kaduna – 6; Akwa Ibom – 6; Kwara – 4; Delta – 4; Ondo – 3; Enugu – 2; Ekiti – 2; Rivers – 2; Niger – 2; and Benue and Anambra – 1 each.
Lagos has continued to record huge figures.
The state recorded 25 new cases on Tuesday and recorded another 18 cases on Wednesday.
The state has discharged 85 Coronavirus patients so far after it discharged 16 patients who survived the virus on Wednesday.
In the same vein, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) disclosed that it has carried out about 7,000 tests for Coronavirus till date.
The Director-General of the NCDC, Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu, who made this known, yesterday, in Abuja, at the briefing of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on Covid-19, said that henceforth, it will release to the public the numbers of tests done weekly.
According to him, “With respect to the number of persons that have been tested, so far, we are just around 7,000 but we want to release the numbers and potentially even give a breakdown of what we tested in every lab within the network. We have agreed every Friday by 6pm to announce the number of tests for that week.”
Speaking in an interview on a cable TV, yesterday, the NCDC boss explained that it is doing all within its capacity to increase testing capacity, while urging private facilities to come on board and be added to their network of laboratories, provided they meet its criteria.
He said: “We have been hearing a lot of people say we should test more and sincerely we want to, but unfortunately we have to work with what we have. Every day, we are testing more. We have intensified efforts Lagos and Abuja.
“We are also converting the GeneXpert for Tuberculosis and HIV for Covid-19 testing. The equipment are ready, but there’s been a global bottleneck on reagents. So, we have been working very hard with our partners to unblock that.
“As soon as we have our hands on it, we will include it in our testing processes. These are not issues that money can solve; it is a global shortage of reagents. As soon as we get these in, we will be able to scale radically our testing capabilities.
“With regards to the use of tests kits, a lot of antigen, antibodies testing don’t work. Many countries haven’t started, reason being that you need to have a test that you know works. So, until we get there, we are stuck with this PCR testing. We are now going to move to some high throughput mechanisms.”
Concerning carrying along universities in the drive to add to the body of research on Covid-19, Ihekweazu said: “Universities don’t need to be carried along because this is their core mandate. Nobody should wait to be carried along in this work; everybody should come forward and bring out their ideas.
“The primary institute at the Federal level is the Nigerian Institute for Medical Research in Lagos. You will see their works around sequencing. They have been very proactive around this. They will be leading on the federal side for research, but that is the core mandate for universities.”
In his remarks, the Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, during the PTF briefing said: “The national testing capacity has been increased to 3,000 per day in 13 molecular laboratories nationwide activated by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC). The target this week is to significantly increase the national testing capacity further; two more laboratories are scheduled to come online in Borno and Sokoto states.
“States have been supplied sample collection kits and are encouraged to develop innovative methods to improve testing capacity such as engaging the private sector to outsource and diversify sample collection sites and improve logistic support.
“This next phase of our strategy, due to the available evidence of community transmission in Nigeria, now focuses on the community. There will be more community testing and social mobilisation at the grassroots to ensure physical distancing and advisories on the use of masks or improvised face coverings like handkerchiefs or scarves over the mouth and nose, to reduce risk of transmission.
“I shall use this opportunity to again strongly advise health professionals against private or secret management of people who have Covid-19 outside of accredited health facilities. We cannot afford avoidable morbidity and mortality.
“Private facilities must obtain accreditation to treat this highly infectious disease. Practitioners engaging in unauthorised treatment of Covid-19, run the risk of being shut down for decontamination,” he added.
Featured
Bring Your Wealth Of Experience To Governance, Ibas Tasks New SSG

The Sole Administrator of Rivers State, Vice Admiral Ibok Ete Ekwe Ibas (rtd), has charged the new Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Prof Ibibia Lucky Worika to bring his wealth of experience to bear in governance of the State.
Vice Admiral Ibas (rtd) gave the charge shortly after swearing in the new SSG at the executive chambers of Government House on Wednesday night.
The Administrator who congratulated Prof Worika on his appointment said the choice was not merely an administrative decision but a statement of intent.
Vice Admiral Ibas (rtd) explained that the new SSG has an unparallel expertise in law, policy and international governance, which align perfectly with the mission to restore law, order, integrity and public trust in Rivers State.
He said: “To our new SSG, the task ahead is onerous, but your track record leaves no doubt in our minds that you will prove your mettle. Rivers State needs your intellect, grit and unweaving dedication. Together, we will write a new chapter of progress for this great state.
“Prof Worika’s role will be critical in driving this vision, ensuring that every policy, every decision and every action is in consonance with this administration’s mandate to restore law and order, stabilize the polity and to create the necessary conditions for the restoration of democratic institutions and representations.”
Vice Admiral Ibas (rtd) pointed to his maiden address to Rivers people wherein he emphasised that his administration will be committed to delivering an effective governance that is anchored on transparency, accountability and service.
He therefore, enjoined the new SSG to brace up to the demands of his office, and offer his best service as required while also working cooperatively with civil servants.
Vice Admiral Ibas (rtd) said: “You have no time to settle down. You must roll up your sleeves and get to work with the team.
“Our civil servants with whom we will work closely to run this administration are critical stakeholders and we must work with them to ensure that the state continues to function effectively during this administration.
“To the Permanent Secretaries and civil servants as a whole, once more I will ask your kind cooperation and support as we work to achieve our objectives at this time,” he added.
Featured
I Am One Of You, Sole Administrator Tells Rivers People …Warns Against Violence, Crude Oil Sabotage

The Sole Administrator of Rivers State, Retired Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (rtd), has assured residents that he is not in the State as a partisan actor or political competitor but as a stabilising force to restore governance and order.
In a state broadcast yesterday, Ibas, who assumed duty at Government House, Port Harcourt, emphasised his commitment to protecting civil liberties and ensuring the safety of all citizens.
However, he issued a stern warning against crude oil sabotage and violence, urging residents to resist any temptation to return to past hostilities.
“For decades, I have dedicated my life to the service of our great nation—first as the 20th indigenous Chief of Naval Staff and later as Nigeria’s High Commissioner to Ghana. I answered this call out of the need for peace in Nigeria, and most importantly, in Rivers State,” Ibas stated.
Describing the prolonged political impasse as a major setback to governance and democracy, he acknowledged the hardships faced by families and businesses due to the prevailing uncertainty.
“As a son of the Niger Delta, I am one of you. I feel the weight of this crisis on families, businesses, and the future of our people,” he said.
Ibas commended President Bola Tinubu’s decisive action in declaring a state of emergency in Rivers State, stressing that it was a necessary move to restore stability and revive economic activities.
“My mandate is clear: restore law and order, ensure stability, and create an enabling environment for economic growth. But this mission requires collective support from all stakeholders, regardless of political affiliation or ethnicity,” he stated.
He discouraged attacks on oil infrastructure, reminding residents of the devastating environmental and economic consequences of such actions.
“The Niger Delta has moved beyond the destruction of oil facilities. We must resist the temptation to return to those ugly days,” he cautioned.
While pledging to uphold civil liberties and the rule of law, the Sole Administrator warned that lawlessness and violence would not be tolerated.
“We will not act arbitrarily, but we will not hesitate to deal decisively with anyone who threatens the peace and stability of Rivers State,” he declared.
Ibas revealed that he had concluded a State Security Council meeting where strategic measures were outlined to de-escalate tensions and prevent further conflict.
Expressing gratitude to President Tinubu for entrusting him with the responsibility, he also acknowledged the National Assembly for approving the emergency declaration.
“I will work closely with the national leadership under the guidance of the President. I am optimistic that Rivers State will emerge stronger and greater,” he concluded.
Featured
Abuja Truck Explosion Death Toll Rises To 10 …As Another Truck Crashes On Same Spot

The Federal Capital Territory Emergency Management Department has confirmed that 10 persons have died in the truck explosion that occurred near Karu bridge, along the Abuja-Keffi Expressway, on Wednesday.
The FEMD’s Head of Public Affairs, Nkechi Isa, confirmed the numbers in a statement, yesterday.
The Acting Director General of the Emergency Department, Abdulrahman Mohammed, had earlier confirmed that eight persons had died as of yesterday morning, with five confirmed dead on the scene, and four others burnt beyond recognition.
““Five people were taken dead from the scene yesterday (Wednesday). Out of the people that were injured, one died, making six. Then this morning (yesterday), when I asked my people to go round, they discovered that two had already died again, making eight. Four of them from yesterday were burnt beyond recognition.”, he explained.
However, in her statement, Isa said the Head, Forecasting Response and Mitigation of FEMD, Mr Mark Nyam, said eight bodies were deposited at the Karu Hospital Morgue, one body at the Asokoro Distinct Hospital Morgue while another body was deposited at the National Hospital.
He added that some victims had been referred to the Gwagwalada Teaching Hospital, Federal Medical Centre, Keffi, and Cedercrest Hospital Abuja for proper care.
Part of the statement reads, “The FCT Emergency Management Department FEMD can confirm that 10 persons lost their lives to the truck explosion that occurred at Karu bridge along Abuja / Keffi expressway.
“The Head Forecasting Response and Mitigation of FEMD, Mr Mark Nyam said eight bodies were deposited at the Karu Hospital Morgue, one body at the Asokoro Distinct Hospital Morgue while another body was deposited at the National Hospital.”
He informed that over 30 persons suffered various degrees of burns.
“Some of the victims have been referred to Gwagwalada Teaching Hospital, Federal Medical Centre,Keffi and Cedercrest Hospital Abuja for proper care,” he said.
Isa also stated that no fewer than 10 vehicles were burnt during the incident, adding that the FEMD boss after a visit to the incident scene, appealed to motorists to observe traffic rules and regulations.
He also cautioned against reckless driving, dangerous overtaking and poor maintenance of vehicles, while urging FCT residents to always use the 112 emergency toll free number in the event of an emergency.
Meanwhile, barely 24 hours after the incident, another fertiliser-laden truck has collapsed on the same spot.
The Tide learnt that the incidence occurred at about 3:54pm yesterday.
The Head of Public Affairs of the FCT Emergency Management Department, Nkechi Isa, confirmed the accident in a statement, stating that the truck collided with a Hijet and a dump truck, adding that no life was lost.
She cautioned road users to drive with caution as the Federal Road Safety Corps was making efforts to tow away the affected vehicles, to avoid traffic built up.
“Another accident has occurred under Karu bridge along the Abuja-Keffi Expressway. Thankfully, no life was lost to the incident. Our Search and Rescue say the accident occurred when a truck laden with fertilizer ran into a Hijet and a dump truck also known as tipper.
“Motorists are advised to drive with caution as the Federal Road Safety Corps is taking steps to tow away the affected vehicles in order to avoid traffic built up,” the statement read.
Meanwhile, several videos showed some persons trying to clear the fertiliser bags from the fallen truck to ease traffic.