Politics
Rivers Youth Leader Carpets APC Over Hardship, Insecurity In Nigeria
Rivers State youths under the aegis of Rivers Youth Leadership Assembly (RYLA) have blamed the All Progressive Congress (APC) led government at the centre for the level of poverty in the country.
Speaker of the ‘Assembly’, Hon Tonye Jeminimiema, said this in an interview with newsmen in Port Harcourt while assessing Nigeria’s achievement in the last 64 years.
He said since the APC came to power in 2015, Nigeria had witnessed increased poverty and insecurity.
“As I speak to you, move round the streets of Port Harcourt and the whole Rivers State, you will see hunger on the faces of people” , he said.
He said Nigeria was making progress until the APC government took over power in 2015, adding that since then the country had continued to experience insecurity and hunger.
The youth leader said those who conspired against former President Goodluck Jonathan should seek for forgiveness from the ex-president.
He said under the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) governments of Olusegun Obasanjo, Musa Yar Adua and Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria made progress until the APC government took over in 2015.
According to him, since 2015 the country has experienced various levels of insecurity, including banditry, armed robbery and hunger.
Hon. Jeminimiema also described Governor Siminialayi Fubara as God sent, adding that the Rivers State Chief Executive has the same programme as former President Jonathan.
He said despite distractions, Governor Fubara had continued to provide purposeful leadership to Rivers people, especially, in the areas of quality healthcare services, regular payment of salaries, promotion to civil servants as well as the promotion of peace in the state.
The Rivers State youth assembly speaker, who is also the State Director of Sim Fubara Stakeholders Forum Worldwide, commended the Governor for being able to implement all his programmes despite distractions by various political enemies.
He said his group was already galvanizing support for the administration of Governor Fubara and described him as the grand patron of the youth body.
On the forthcoming local government elections, he called on candidates not to use any youths in the state as political thugs, stressing that those contesting should sell their programmes to the people.
While cautioning the youth against violence, he urged the security agencies to go after any one who foments trouble during the election.
The youth leader urged Federal Government to stop borrowing money, insisting that the country had borrowed enough.
He wondered what the already borrowed funds had been used for, while challenging the central authority to think out ways of eradicating hunger and poverty in the country.
Hon. Jeminimiema also wondered why the Bonny/Bodo road has lingered till date and lamented incessant incidents of piracy along the Bonny water ways.
He urged the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Chief Nyesom Wike, to use his position in Abuja to bring development to the state as the position he is occupying is for Rivers people.
John Bibor
Politics
Reps Seeks To Retain Immunity For President Only
On Wednesday, the House of Representatives passed, through a second reading, a bill seeking to retain immunity for the Office of the President and remove immunity from the Vice President, the Governors and the Deputy Governors.
The bill was one of the 42 considered and passed through the second reading stage during plenary presided over by the Deputy Speaker, Mr Benjamin Kalu, in Abuja.
Sponsored by Hon. Solomon Bob (Rivers PDP), the bill is seeking the amendment of Section 308 of the 1999 Constitution to guard against abuse of office and to ensure transparency in governance.
The long title of the proposed legislation read: “A Bill for an Act to alter the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, to qualify the immunity conferred on the President, remove the immunity conferred on the Vice President, the Governors and their deputies, in order to curb corruption, eradicate impunity and enhance accountability in public office and for related matters.”
Key amendments include changes to Section 308 of the Constitution, which currently grants immunity to the president, vice president, governors, and deputy governors while in office.
The proposed bill will amend subsection 3 to ensure that immunity only applies to the President and the vice president when acting as President under Section 145 of the Constitution.
Additionally, a new subsection 4 will be introduced to make the immunity clause inapplicable if the office holder is acting in an unofficial capacity, engaging in actions beyond the powers of the office, or involved in criminal conduct.
“The bill seeks to foster transparency and strengthen the fight against corruption by making public officials more accountable for their actions, both in and out of office.”
“Section 308 of the principal Act is amended by:(a) substituting a new subsection (3) as follows: “(3) This section applies to a person holding the office of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Vice President only when acting as President, in line with Section 145 of this Constitution.
Creating sub section (4) thereto as follows:”(4) The foregoing provisions of this section shall be inapplicable where the person to whom this section applies is acting in an unofficial capacity or where the conduct of the person is beyond the powers of his office or the conduct is criminal in nature.
“This Bill may be cited as the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Alteration) Act 2024.
The bill is currently awaiting further debate and consideration by the National Assembly.
Politics
Recall From NASS: INEC Confirms Petitioners’ Contact Details Receipt, Notifies Natasha
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has written to notify Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, the senator representing Kogi Central, about the petition by constituents seeking her recall from the national assembly.
INEC said it has also received the contact details of the petitioners.
“Pursuant to section 69 of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999, as amended, I write to notify you of the receipt of a petition from representatives of registered voters in your constituency seeking your recall from the senate.
“The notification is in line with the provisions of clause 2 (a) of the Commission’s Regulations and Guidelines for Recall 2024.
“This letter is also copied to the presiding officer of the senate and simultaneously published on the commission’s website. Thank you”, the letter read.
The letter was signed by Ruth Oriaran Anthony, secretary to the commission.
Meanwhile, in a statement issued on Wednesday, INEC said it has now received the updated contact details from representatives of petitioners seeking to recall the senator.
In the statement, Sam Olumekun, INEC’s National Commissioner and Chairman of Information and Voter Education, said a letter notifying the senator of the petition has been delivered to her official address, copied to the senate presiding officer, and published on the commission’s website.
“The next step is to scrutinise the list of signatories submitted by the petitioners to ascertain that the petition is signed by more than one half (over 50%) of the registered voters in the constituency. This will be done in the coming days.
“The outcome, which will be made public, shall determine the next step to be taken by the Commission. We once again reassure Nigerians that the process will be open and transparent”, Mr Olumekun said.
Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan had recently accused Senate President Godswill Akpabio of sexually harassing her.
The allegation came in the wake of seating arrangement related altercation between Senator. Akpabio and the Kogi Central senator at the red chamber
She was subsequently suspended from the senate for six months for “gross misconduct” over the incident.
The constituents behind the recall move also accused her of “gross misconduct, abuse of office, and deceitful behaviour”.
The senator has denied wrongdoing and called the recall effort a “coordinated suppression” of her voice.
Politics
Bill To Upgrade Lagos LCDAs To LGAs Pass Second Reading
The House of Representatives on Wednesday passed the second reading of a bill to upgrade the Lagos State 37 Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) to full-fledged Local Government Areas (LGAs ).
The bill, was sponsored by James Faleke, Babajimi Benson, Enitan Badru, and 19 other lawmakers.
The bill is titled “A Bill for an Act to Alter the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) to Accommodate the Thirty-Seven (37) Development Area Councils of Lagos State as Full-Fledged Local Government Areas, Increasing the Total Number of Local Government Areas in the Federation to Eight Hundred and Eleven (811), and for Related Matters (HB. 1498),”
Once fully enacted, Nigeria’s total number of LGAs will rise from 774 to 811, with Lagos overtaking Kano and Katsina, which currently have 44 and 34 LGAs, respectively.
Proponents of the bill argue that granting full LGA status to the LCDAs would bring governance closer to the people. The 37 LCDAs were created by President Bola Tinubu in 2003 when he was governor of Lagos State.
However, it’s worth noting that the Lagos State House of Assembly has been working on a bill to replace the 37 LCDAs with newly designated administrative areas.