Nation
THE STATES
Bauchi
The Nigerian Inter-Religious Council (NIREC), has urged the Federal Government to punish perpetrators of the Plateau crisis and other crisis in the country.
This is contained in a communique issued at the end of the first quarter meeting of the council held in Bauchi, Friday.
It sated that punishing the perpetrators, promoters and facilitators of the crisis would serve as deterrent to others.
The council urged government to compensate victims of crisis and other disturbances to enable them to mitigate the effects of their losses.
It also resolved to “caution reckless religious preachers who conduct inciting sermons without regard to the feelings of others and therefore fan the embers of religious misunderstanding and disturbances.”
Damaturu
The Minister of Police Affairs, Alhaji Adamu Waziri, says the new concept of community policing will drastically reduce crime rate in the society.
He told newsmen in Damaturu that the concept would be all inclusive with crucial roles for every member of the community to play in maintaining peace.
He explained that the system afforded the community the opportunity of checking the activities of the police too.
“It is a system where everyone will be a stakeholder in maintenance of law and order.”
The minister said there would be massive transformation in the police with improved commitment to providing security to lives and property.
He noted that the police was making efforts to face the challenges of the 2011 elections.
FCT
The Architects Registration Council of Nigeria (ARCON) on Friday in Abuja expressed displeasure over the demolition of the 500 year-old Kofar Na’isa Gate by the Kano State Government.
Mr Umaru Aliyu, the President of ARCON, made the council’s feelings known while speaking with newsmen on the sideline of this year’s “Architects Colloquium.
The gate was demolished last week by a construction firm to pave way for the expansion of a state road, which leads to the Emir’s Palace.
It would be recalled that during the reign of Sarki Gijimasu, a 17-km perimeter fortress was built around Kano City (the old city) with Kofar Na’isa Gate as the main gate leading to it.
According to a Kano-based historian, Alhaji Maje Gwangwazo, Kofar Na’isa means “I can do it or I can prove my mettle’’.
Ibadan
Sports enthusiasts and other eminent Nigerians on Thursday showered encomiums on the late Vice-Chairman of the defunct Nigeria Football Association (NFA), Chief Nathaniel Idowu.
At the wake-keep ceremony, which drew a large crowd at his Iyaganku GRA residence in Ibadan, Idowu’s death was described as not only a loss to Oyo State, but also to the whole country.
Idowu, a renowned sports financier, died at Cromwell Hospital, London on February 20 at the age of 75.
Popularly called “Okanlomo of Ibadanland,’’ the late Idowu was until his death, an industrialist and sports financier.
He was also a staunch supporter of the Super Eagles and the national female teams.
The deceased was particularly noted for his annual sponsorship of the N. O. Idowu Under-18 soccer competition.
Ilorin
The Kwara Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board said more than 1,000 people from the state had obtained forms for this year’s pilgrimage.
The board’s Chairman, Alhaji Abdullahi Abdulhameed, who said this in an interview with newsmen in Ilorin on Friday, added that the board would ensure a hitch-free Hajj.
Abdulhameed urged the intending pilgrims to pay up the N400,000 deposit on time.
“We started selling the forms more than a month ago and we are now in April. We don’t have enough time left because we have to start making preparations, so people should pay up in good time,” he said.
The chairman explained that the N400,000 was arrived at as a fair deposit because about N360,000 would be remitted to the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) in Abuja.
Jos
The Ewi of Ado-Ekiti, Oba Rufus Aladesanmi, has advocated regular exchange of visits among royal fathers in order to build bridges of unity across the country.
Ewi, who spoke when he visited the Gbong Gwom Jos, Jacob Buba, in Jos on Thursday, said traditional rulers must work together to ensure Nigeria did not become a failed state.
He said traditional rulers, as custodians of the people’s culture, should always live up to the expectations of their subjects in times of crisis.
“We need to encourage regular visits among ourselves at the royal fathers’ level so that we can build the bridge of friendship and unity across the country.
“ This is what we can do to move this country forward.
“It is only when we the royal fathers work together as one that this country can be peaceful, progressive and be secured for all.
Kaduna
Alhaji Ibrahim Bio, the Minister of Sports and Chairman, National Sports Commission (NSC), said the commission would offer scholarships to deserving athletes.
Bio made the pledge in Kaduna at the closing ceremony of the first underage championship organised by the commission.
The championship was held at two venues, Kaduna and Ibadan between April 17 and April 22. The six geo-political zones participated in the competition, which featured Taekwondo, Athletics and Boxing.
He said the award of scholarships was to promote the overall development of the athletes.
“The National Sports Commission will take over the training programmes of the athletes and ensure the provision of qualitative education through the award of scholarships to them to ensure their all round development,” he said.
Katsina
The Katsina State Government will spend N68 million to address the perennial flooding in Malumfashi, an official has said.
Mr Danjuma Alti, the Permanent Secretary in the state’s Ministry of Works and Housing, disclosed this in Malumfashi on Friday in an interview with newsmen.
Alti said government had constructed a drains protector in Malunfashi and was constructing a canal outside the town to divert the ‘Asha da lafiya’ stream which always wreaked havoc in the area.
He noted that when the canal project, which would cost the state N68 million was completed, the entire water of the Malumfashi stream that passed through the town would flow outside it so that the flood would be avoided.
The permanent secretary disclosed that the canal project, which comprised two box-bridges, was awarded to the Boriri Prono company and would be completed before the rains set in.
In May 2009, three people died, 450 houses were destroyed and many families rendered homeless in Malumfash as a result of flooding.
Lagos
The Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke, says the new oil industry local content bill just signed into law will generate about 30,000 jobs in five years.
She made the assertion on Friday in Lagos in a statement released by Mr Levi Ajuonuma, the Group General Manager, Public Affairs, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
The statement quoted the minister as saying that the law had far-reaching implications for the issues of technological advancement and long-term cost effectiveness.
She said the law would take care of post amnesty programmes in the Niger Delta and improve the impact of the oil and gas industry on the nation’s GDP.
Alison-Madueke said the law would transform the industry from a major importer of goods and services to an industry “that sources a substantial proportion of its inputs locally”.
Our correspondent reports that the bill was signed into law on April 22 by the Acting President, Dr Goodluck Jonathan, alongside the nation’s N4.6 trillion budget for 2010.
Sokoto
Kebbe Local Government Council in Sokoto State has embarked on developmental projects that would gulp N287.4 million, its Chairman, Alhaji Bala Kokani, said.
Kokani disclosed this on Friday in Kebbe, headquarters of the local government when a team of journalists under the auspices of the state council of the NUJ visited the area as part of the monitoring of projects across the state.
The chairman said 40 per cent of the total amount had since been paid to the various contractors as mobilisation fees and listed the projects to include 10 solar powered boreholes which would cost about N 100.74 million.
The boreholes, he added would be located in Dukura, Gaddace, Guru, Tungar-Lambo, Kuchi, Gurundi, Indare, Tune, Fakku and Runtuya-Yamma.
He explained that N99.07 million would be spent in the construction of 10 upgraded dispensaries in Sangi, Arusaya, Gadace, Karma, Nasagudu, Ungushi, Umbutu, Fakku, Dukura and Girkau.
Nation
Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway
Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.
Nation
UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.
Nation
Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News4 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports4 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
