Opinion
Why ASUU Strike Must End
There is a saying that
he who continues to dance when the music is over, dances the dance of disgrace. This would apply to the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) if the union insists on going on with her five month strike.
Within the five months, many well-meaning Nigerians, students, parents and even associations have pleaded with ASUU and the Federal Government to put an end to the indurstrial action so that the students can go back to school. Some of them argued that though ASUU is fighting for the revival of the education sector in Nigeria, prolonging the strike will definitely not be in the interest of the students in the public universities who are wasting at home while their counterparts in private universities and foreign universities are forging ahead with their studies.
Last Tuesday, federal government through the Senior Special Adviser to the President on Public Affairs, Dr Doyin Okupe, made it clear that the Federal Government had met almost all the demands of ASUU. He said the Federal Government had deposited the N200 billion promised as funding to universities into an account with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), adding that government had met the demands agreed upon at the 13-hour meeting the union had with President Goodluck Jonathan on November 4 to the early hours of November 5.
Confirming this development, the Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission, Prof Julius Okojie told journalists that the coordinating Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi, Okonjo-Iweala had “confirmed” to him that the N200 billion had been deposited in CBN.
The argument then is, if Federal Government has truly shown this level of commitment towards satisfying the demands of ASUU which are expected to turn things around for the better in the public universities, shouldn’t ASUU show a little understanding by suspending the strike?
I think that will do the nation and the union some good, moreso, many universities seem to be adhering to the resumption deadline given by the government and have started announcing resumption dates.
There are indications that the fabrics keeping ASUU members is increasingly growing weak by the day and the union may lose relevance if she sticks to her gun.
However, as ASUU is being persuaded to call off the strike, the argument put forward by the union for persisting on the industrial action should not be over-looked. According to ASUU President, Dr Nasir Issa-Fagge, the union was not formally communicated on the opening of the account by the Federal Government. He said, the union, “requested that once that is done (bank account opening) and the committee that is supposed to disburse the funds starts working, our members will have no reason not to suspend the strike action”, insisting that the “most important part of this thing at this point is that let there be documentation”.
No doubt, Dr Issa-Fagge’s argument is logical especially owing to the fact that the on-going ASUU strike started due to Federal government’s failure to implement part of a 2009 agreement signed by the two parties.
ASUU strikes and agreements with government have come a long way. The agreement according to ASUU, started from 1981, 1982, 1999 to 2001. In all these years’ agreements that addressed salient areas concerning the welfare of lecturers and the education sector were signed. Failure of the government to implement these agreements has been largely blamed for the instability in the tertiary education sector.
So, one may not really blame ASUU for insisting on proper documentation and also that the Attorney-General of the Federation or a person higher than a Permanent Secretary sign any Memorandum of Understanding between the union and the government since the previous memoranda allegedly signed by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Education were not recognised.
I think it is high time the Federal Government realised that the ability of a government to honour its words makes such government responsible. To borrow the words of the Senate Leader, Chief Victor Ndoma-Egba, the Federal Government should always keep any agreement entered into with labour unions to save the country from suffering and hardship occasioned by incessant strikes.
Again, our leaders should learn to do things the right way. Prof Okojie claimed to have confirmed the deposition of N200 billion into a CBN account from the Minister of Finance. What he failed to tell us is the means of such confirmation. Is there any documented record of that transaction? If truly Okonjo-Iweala signed the deposition of the money into the CBN, shouldn’t there be a memo to that effect- a memo from the Minister of Finance to the CBN and to NUC and even to ASUU?
We all know that President Jonathan is concerned about the effect of the prolonged strike on the students which explains his recent out-burst over the failure of ASUU to call off the strike despite his personal intervention in the matter. But to bring a lasting solution to this impasse, government needs to be transparent and honest in its dealings. Government should try and win the confidence of the lecturers by signing the agreement as requested by the Union.
Most importantly, both parties should not see the issue of the current strike as a war that must be won or lost as both are working in the interest of moving the nation forward. All necessary measures must be taken to resolve the contentious issues so that there will be no more ASUU strike in the nearest future.
Calista Ezeaku
Opinion
Time and Season Can Tell
Opinion
Why Adaeze Deserves A Second Chance
Opinion
Empowering Youth Through Agriculture
Quote:”While job seeking youths should continuously acquire skills and explore opportunities within their immediate environment as well as in the global space through the use of digital platforms, government, corporate/ multinational organizations or the organised private sector should generate skills and provide the enabling environment for skills acquisition, through adequate funding and resettlement packages that will provide sustainable economic life for beneficiaries”.
The Governor of Rivers State, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, recently urged youths in the Rivers State to take advantage of the vast opportunities available to become employers of labour and contribute meaningfully to the growth and development of the State. Governor Fubara noted that global trends increasingly favour entrepreneurship and innovation, and said that youths in Rivers State must not be left behind in harnessing these opportunities. The Governor, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr Benibo Anabraba, made this known while declaring open the 2026 Job Fair organised by the Rivers State Government in partnership with the Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA) in Port Harcourt. The Governor acknowledged the responsibility of government to create jobs for its teeming youth population but noted that it is unrealistic to absorb all job seekers into the civil service.
“As a government, we recognise our duty to provide employment opportunities for our teeming youths. However, we also understand that not all youths can be accommodated within the civil service. This underscores the need to encourage entrepreneurship across diverse sectors and to partner with other stakeholders, including the youths themselves, so they can transition from being job seekers to employers of labour,” he said. It is necessary to State that Governor Fubara has not only stated the obvious but was committed to drive youth entrepreneurship towards their self-reliance and the economic development of the State It is not news that developed economies of the world are skilled driven economies. The private sector also remains the highest employer of labour in private sector driven or capitalist economy though it is also the responsibility of government to create job opportunities for the teeming unemployed youth population in Nigeria which has the highest youth unemployed population in the subSahara Africa.
The lack of job opportunities, caused partly by the Federal Government’s apathy to job creation, the lack of adequate supervision of job opportunities economic programmes, lack of employable skills by many youths in the country have conspired to heighten the attendant challenges of unemployment. The challenges which include, “Japa” syndrome (travelling abroad for greener pastures), that characterises the labour market and poses threat to the nation’s critical sector, especially the health and medical sector; astronomical increase in the crime rate and a loss of interest in education. While job seeking youths should continuously acquire skills and explore opportunities within their immediate environment as well as in the global space through the use of digital platforms, government, corporate/ multinational organizations or the organised private sector should generate skills and provide the enabling environment for skills acquisition, through adequate funding and resettlement packages that will provide sustainable economic life for beneficiaries.
While commending the Rivers State Government led by the People First Governor, Sir Siminilayi Fubara for initiating “various training and capacity-building programmes in areas such as ICT and artificial intelligence, oil and gas, maritime, and the blue economy, among others”, it is note-worthy that the labour market is dynamic and shaped by industry-specific demands, technological advancements, management practices and other emerging factors. So another sector the Federal, State and Local Governments should encourage youths to explore and harness the abounding potentials, in my considered view, is Agriculture. Agriculture remains a veritable solution to hunger, inflation, and food Insecurity that ravages the country. No doubt, the Nigeria’s arable landmass is grossly under-utilised and under-exploited.
In recent times, Nigerians have voiced their concerns about the persistent challenges of hunger, inflation, and the general increase in prices of goods and commodities. These issues not only affect the livelihoods of individuals and families but also pose significant threats to food security and economic stability in the country. The United Nations estimated that more than 25 million people in Nigeria could face food insecurity this year—a 47% increase from the 17 million people already at risk of going hungry, mainly due to ongoing insecurity, protracted conflicts, and rising food prices. An estimated two million children under five are likely to be pushed into acute malnutrition. (Reliefweb ,2023). In response, Nigeria declared a state of emergency on food insecurity, recognizing the urgent need to tackle food shortages, stabilize rising prices, and protect farmers facing violence from armed groups. However, without addressing the insecurity challenges, farmers will continue to struggle to feed their families and boost food production.
In addition, parts of northwest and northeast Nigeria have experienced changes in rainfall patterns making less water available for crop production. These climate change events have resulted in droughts and land degradations; presenting challenges for local communities and leading to significant impact on food security. In light of these daunting challenges, it is imperative to address the intricate interplay between insecurity and agricultural productivity. Nigeria can work toward ensuring food security, reducing poverty, and fostering sustainable economic growth in its vital agricultural sector. In this article, I suggest solutions that could enhance agricultural production and ensure that every state scales its agricultural production to a level where it can cater to 60% of the population.
This is feasible and achievable if government at all levels are intentional driving the development of the agricultural sector which was the major economic mainstay of the Country before the crude oil was struck in commercial quantity and consequently became the nation’s monolithic revenue source. Government should revive the moribund Graduate Farmers Scheme and the Rivers State School-to-Land agricultural programmes to operate concurrently with other skills acquisition and development programmes. There should be a consideration for investment in mechanized farming and arable land allocation. State and local governments should play a pivotal role in promoting mechanized farming and providing arable land for farming in communities. Additionally, allocating arable land enables small holder farmers to expand their operations and contribute to food security at the grassroots level.
Nigeria can unlock the potential of its agricultural sector to address the pressing needs of its population and achieve sustainable development. Policymakers and stakeholders must heed Akande’s recommendations and take decisive action to ensure a food-secure future for all Nigerians.
By: Igbiki Benibo
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports4 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
