Connect with us

Featured

UN Warns Over Tension In Nigeria, Others

Published

on

Global body in charge of security, United Nations Security Council says it is worried over what it described as continued tension linked to disputed electoral processes, social and economic difficulties, and conflicts between farmers and herders in the Lake Chad Basin.
Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad are members of the Lake Chad Basin on which the UN body also said it remained concerned at their security and humanitarian situation caused by Boko Haram and other armed groups.
In a presidential statement released, yesterday, on the heels of last Tuesday’s siege on the National Assembly by Nigeria’s secret police, the Department of State Services (DSS).
Acting President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo had fired the DSS Director General, Mr Lawal Daura, following the siege which attracted condemnation across Nigeria and beyond.
Some international bodies, including the European Union, EU also condemned the National Assembly invasion.
The siege had been interpreted in some quarters as part of the moves by the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) to remove Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki, who had defected to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), through the backdoor.
Another school of thought said the siege was staged by the Senate President, in conjunction with the DSS, to attract sympathy to his person and make the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari look bad in the eyes of the democratic world.
Meanwhile, the cat and mouse game between the leadership of the National Assembly and the Presidency to get the federal lawmakers to reconvene and approve the supplementary budget of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the 2019 general elections continued, yesterday, as indications emerged that the lawmakers may not meet this week.
The lawmakers had gone on recess late last month and are not due to return to parliament until late September.
In the Presidential Statement, the 15-member UN Security Council regretted that Central African countries were beset by ongoing terrorist activity, instability and the effects of climate change, and asked Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to review the work of the UN Regional Office for Central Africa (UNOCA), and recommend areas for improvement.
The presidential statement read: “The Security Council strongly condemns all terrorist attacks carried out in the region, including those perpetrated by Boko Haram and the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as Daesh).
“These attacks have caused large-scale and devastating losses, have had a devastating humanitarian impact including through the displacement of a large number of civilians in Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad, and represent a threat to the stability and peace of West and Central Africa.
“The Council notes with particular concern the continuing use by Boko Haram of women and girls as suicide bombers, which has created an atmosphere of suspicion towards them and made them targets of harassment and stigmatisation in affected communities, and of arbitrary arrests by security forces.
“The Council emphasises the need for affected States to counter-terrorism in all its forms and manifestations, including by addressing the conditions conducive to the spread of terrorism, in accordance with obligations under international law, in particular international human rights law, international refugee law and international humanitarian law”.
The Security Council welcomed the support provided by UNOCA and the UN Office for West Africa and Sahel (UNOWAS) for the development of a joint regional strategy to address the root causes of the Lake Chad Basin crisis through regular contact with regional leaders.
The Council encouraged partners to increase security assistance to Lake Chad Basin Commission countries, and humanitarian and development support across the region for those affected by Boko Haram activities.
“The Security Council remains deeply concerned at the grave security situation and related violations and abuses of human rights in parts of Central Africa, in particular the continuing terrorist activities of Boko Haram and other terrorist groups in the Lake Chad Basin,” it said.
“The Security Council expresses its ongoing concern at continued tensions linked to disputed electoral processes, social and economic difficulties, and conflicts between farmers and herders,” the statement added.
The 15-member Council noted that UNOCA’s priorities would include, to work closely with UNOWAS to address trans-regional issues such as maritime security in the Gulf of Guinea, conflict between farmers and herders, and combating Boko Haram.
The UN Security Council committee on al Qaeda sanctions blacklisted and imposed sanctions on the Islamist militant group Boko Haram in 2014 after the insurgents kidnapped more than 200 Chibok schoolgirls.
The designation, which came into effect after no objections were raised by the Security Council’s 15 members, subjected Boko Haram to UN sanctions, including an arms embargo, asset freeze and travel ban.
The National Assembly was under pressure, last week, to reconvene to consider the budget to enable INEC prepare for the forthcoming polls.
The leadership was scheduled to meet INEC National Chairman, Prof. Mahood Yakubu, ahead of the reconvening, last Tuesday, but the DSS siege aborted the meeting.
The meeting, nonetheless, held on Wednesday.
The word out there, late last week, was that the House of Representatives will reconvene this week, specifically on Tuesday, to approve the INEC supplementary budget.
But an associate of the Senate President, Saraki, told newsmen yesterday evening, that he could not say whether the National Assembly would sit this week.
“I have not heard about reconvening when they are still plotting their evil schemes. We know that once the Senate is reconvened that they would find ways to block Saraki and Ekweremadu from coming to the session and force a President Pro-Tempore from their camp to do their illegal bidding”, the associate said.
“Whereas to remove a Senate President, the requirement is two-third of the Senate, representing 73 senators, in the absence of the two presiding officers, a President Pro-Tempore can be elected among those present to preside over the affairs of the Senate for a limited number of days.
“That is their plan and we cannot be at peace with that.” Sunday Vanguard gathered, yesterday, that 39 senators had signed a petition to remove Saraki and his deputy, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, from office. Senator Ahmad Lawan, Senate Majority Leader, is believed to have been tipped by those opposed to Saraki as Senate President, Senator Sunny Ogbuji from Ebonyi State as Deputy Senate President and Senator George Akume pencilled down as Senate Leader under the proposed scheme allegedly in the works by the APC camp.
The ruling party National Chairman, Mr Adams Oshiomhole, however, remained unsparing of the Senate leadership, yesterday, as he insisted that resistance to reconvene was a bid for political self- preservation by the Senate President.
He affirmed that Saraki could not continue to shift the evil day.
“If they are actually representing Nigerians, they are supposed to reopen to deal with the issue with the supplementary budget and other presidential bills before them which are urgent,” Oshiomhole said yesterday through his spokesman, Simon Ebegbulem.
Responding from the camp of the Senate President, Senator Rafiu Ibrahim, who recently defected from the APC to the PDP, said they would not bother wasting words on Oshiomhole.
“For him to have any say in the affairs of the National Assembly, he should resign his position as the national chairman and contest to become a senator and not to keep on talking about his bloated ego”, Ibrahim said.
In a statement, yesterday, a pro-democracy group, Democratic Nigeria, pleaded with Nigerians to rise and defend the nation’s fledgling democracy.
Speaking against the backdrop of the siege in the National Assembly, last Tuesday, the group said: “In the last three years of the 8th NASS, so many illegalities have been prevented, many of which have not really gone down well with the executive arm. Uncovering of alleged corruption in NNPC, the Nigeria Police Force with the IGP as major culprit, to Kenton, among many others, in government agencies and institutions.
“It is on public record that none among the past NASS had been severely subjected to attacks and disregard by agents of the state like the present Senate, yet it is surviving, probably because those at the helm of affairs presently, do not hold the notion that their representation is solely about themselves, but see themselves as custodians of the people’s will and defenders of the people’s Commonwealth.
“Whichever side of the divide we belong, we must not only condemn shenanigans and illegality when it does not favour us, legality is not a matter of fair-weather, it must be legal at all times notwithstanding who is involved. We saw it and condemned it when the Judiciary was at the receiving end, with the invasion of their homes in a Gestapo fashion, by agents of the State Security Service (SSS) at midnight.
“Now that it is wearing another toga against the NASS, we must not suddenly become Janus-faced and go silent while those who never appreciated democracy but now profess to be repentant democrats, set bad precedence for our hard earned democracy”.
Also, a former Minister of Education and a chieftain of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Prof. Tunde Adeniran, also speaking, yesterday, said: “I expect the National Assembly to stand up to their responsibilities by upholding the rule of law. I also expect them to regard the Nigerian situation as a national emergency and treat the issues before them with dispatch.”

Continue Reading

Featured

Bring Your Wealth Of Experience To Governance, Ibas Tasks New SSG

Published

on

The Sole Administrator of Rivers State, Vice Admiral Ibok Ete Ekwe Ibas (rtd), has charged the new Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Prof Ibibia Lucky Worika to bring his wealth of experience to bear in governance of the State.

 

Vice Admiral Ibas (rtd) gave the charge shortly after swearing in the new SSG at the executive chambers of Government House on Wednesday night.

 

The Administrator who congratulated Prof Worika on his appointment said the choice was not merely an administrative decision but a statement of intent.

 

Vice Admiral Ibas (rtd) explained that the new SSG has an unparallel expertise in law, policy and international governance, which align perfectly with the mission to restore law, order, integrity and public trust in Rivers State.

 

He said: “To our new SSG, the task ahead is onerous, but your track record leaves no doubt in our minds that you will prove your mettle. Rivers State needs your intellect, grit and unweaving dedication. Together, we will write a new chapter of progress for this great state.

 

“Prof Worika’s role will be critical in driving this vision, ensuring that every policy, every decision and every action is in consonance with this administration’s mandate to restore law and order, stabilize the polity and to create the necessary conditions for the restoration of democratic institutions and representations.”

 

Vice Admiral Ibas (rtd) pointed to his maiden address to Rivers people wherein he emphasised that his administration will be committed to delivering an effective governance that is anchored on transparency, accountability and service.

 

He therefore, enjoined the new SSG to brace up to the demands of his office, and offer his best service as required while also working cooperatively with civil servants.

 

Vice Admiral Ibas (rtd) said: “You have no time to settle down. You must roll up your sleeves and get to work with the team.

 

“Our civil servants with whom we will work closely to run this administration are critical stakeholders and we must work with them to ensure that the state continues to function effectively during this administration.

 

“To the Permanent Secretaries and civil servants as a whole, once more I will ask your kind cooperation and support as we work to achieve our objectives at this time,” he added.

Continue Reading

Featured

I Am One Of You, Sole Administrator Tells Rivers People …Warns Against Violence, Crude Oil Sabotage

Published

on

The Sole Administrator of Rivers State, Retired Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (rtd), has assured residents that he is not in the State as a partisan actor or political competitor but as a stabilising force to restore governance and order.
In a state broadcast yesterday, Ibas, who assumed duty at Government House, Port Harcourt, emphasised his commitment to protecting civil liberties and ensuring the safety of all citizens.
However, he issued a stern warning against crude oil sabotage and violence, urging residents to resist any temptation to return to past hostilities.
“For decades, I have dedicated my life to the service of our great nation—first as the 20th indigenous Chief of Naval Staff and later as Nigeria’s High Commissioner to Ghana. I answered this call out of the need for peace in Nigeria, and most importantly, in Rivers State,” Ibas stated.
Describing the prolonged political impasse as a major setback to governance and democracy, he acknowledged the hardships faced by families and businesses due to the prevailing uncertainty.
“As a son of the Niger Delta, I am one of you. I feel the weight of this crisis on families, businesses, and the future of our people,” he said.
Ibas commended President Bola Tinubu’s decisive action in declaring a state of emergency in Rivers State, stressing that it was a necessary move to restore stability and revive economic activities.
“My mandate is clear: restore law and order, ensure stability, and create an enabling environment for economic growth. But this mission requires collective support from all stakeholders, regardless of political affiliation or ethnicity,” he stated.
He discouraged attacks on oil infrastructure, reminding residents of the devastating environmental and economic consequences of such actions.
“The Niger Delta has moved beyond the destruction of oil facilities. We must resist the temptation to return to those ugly days,” he cautioned.
While pledging to uphold civil liberties and the rule of law, the Sole Administrator warned that lawlessness and violence would not be tolerated.
“We will not act arbitrarily, but we will not hesitate to deal decisively with anyone who threatens the peace and stability of Rivers State,” he declared.
Ibas revealed that he had concluded a State Security Council meeting where strategic measures were outlined to de-escalate tensions and prevent further conflict.
Expressing gratitude to President Tinubu for entrusting him with the responsibility, he also acknowledged the National Assembly for approving the emergency declaration.
“I will work closely with the national leadership under the guidance of the President. I am optimistic that Rivers State will emerge stronger and greater,” he concluded.

Continue Reading

Featured

Abuja Truck Explosion Death Toll Rises To 10  …As Another Truck Crashes On Same Spot 

Published

on

The Federal Capital Territory Emergency Management Department has confirmed that 10 persons have died in the truck explosion that occurred near Karu bridge, along the Abuja-Keffi Expressway, on Wednesday.

The FEMD’s Head of Public Affairs, Nkechi Isa, confirmed the numbers in a statement, yesterday.

The Acting Director General of the Emergency Department, Abdulrahman Mohammed, had earlier confirmed that eight persons had died as of yesterday morning, with five confirmed dead on the scene, and four others burnt beyond recognition.

““Five people were taken dead from the scene yesterday (Wednesday). Out of the people that were injured, one died, making six. Then this morning (yesterday), when I asked my people to go round, they discovered that two had already died again, making eight. Four of them from yesterday were burnt beyond recognition.”, he explained.

However, in her statement, Isa said the Head, Forecasting Response and Mitigation of FEMD, Mr Mark Nyam, said eight bodies were deposited at the Karu Hospital Morgue, one body at the Asokoro Distinct Hospital Morgue while another body was deposited at the National Hospital.

He added that some victims had been referred to the Gwagwalada Teaching Hospital, Federal Medical Centre, Keffi, and Cedercrest Hospital Abuja for proper care.

Part of the statement reads, “The FCT Emergency Management Department FEMD can confirm that 10 persons lost their lives to the truck explosion that occurred at Karu bridge along Abuja / Keffi expressway.

“The Head Forecasting Response and Mitigation of FEMD, Mr Mark Nyam said eight bodies were deposited at the Karu Hospital Morgue, one body at the Asokoro Distinct Hospital Morgue while another body was deposited at the National Hospital.”

He informed that over 30 persons suffered various degrees of burns.

“Some of the victims have been referred to Gwagwalada Teaching Hospital, Federal Medical Centre,Keffi and Cedercrest Hospital Abuja for proper care,” he said.

Isa also stated that no fewer than 10 vehicles were burnt during the incident, adding that the FEMD boss after a visit to the incident scene, appealed to motorists to observe traffic rules and regulations.

He also cautioned against reckless driving, dangerous overtaking and poor maintenance of vehicles, while urging FCT residents to always use the 112 emergency toll free number in the event of an emergency.

Meanwhile, barely 24 hours after the incident, another fertiliser-laden truck has collapsed on the same spot.

The Tide learnt that the incidence occurred at about 3:54pm yesterday.

The Head of Public Affairs of the FCT Emergency Management Department, Nkechi Isa, confirmed the accident in a statement, stating that the truck collided with a Hijet and a dump truck, adding that no life was lost.

She cautioned road users to drive with caution as the Federal Road Safety Corps was making efforts to tow away the affected vehicles, to avoid traffic built up.

“Another accident has occurred under Karu bridge along the Abuja-Keffi Expressway. Thankfully, no life was lost to the incident. Our Search and Rescue say the accident occurred when a truck laden with fertilizer ran into a Hijet and a dump truck also known as tipper.

“Motorists are advised to drive with caution as the Federal Road Safety Corps is taking steps to tow away the affected vehicles in order to avoid traffic built up,” the statement read.

Meanwhile, several videos showed some persons trying to clear the fertiliser bags from the fallen truck to ease traffic.

 

Continue Reading

Trending